Mark Gainsborough, Shell’s Head of Downstream Global Commercial, who attended the opening ceremony, said: “The TSC is another example of how Shell can help meet China’s current needs and aspirations for smarter energy solutions. It is part of our downstream selective growth strategy and allows us to support the needs of customers based in China such as one of the largest joint venture car manufacturers, Shanghai General Motors.”
The TSC centre is the latest addition to Shell’s global technology centres, bringing together teams of world-class scientists and engineers, many of whom are leaders in their respective fields.
Key industry customers and automotive OEMs will benefit from a range of services such as technical research, marketing and training services related to their lubricants application. The centre will also serve as a platform for working with leading OEMs and research institutes. The knowledge that we gain as a result of these collaborations helps us to remain at the forefront of technology. Shell experts will also share lubrication insights and offer hands-on training for trainees both inside and outside of Shell.
Lim Haw-Kuang, Executive Chairman of Shell Companies in China, said: “China is the world’s fastest growing and second largest lubricants market and demand is growing fast. We are working hard to meet our Chinese customers’ needs and serve them well to support them in their growth. The TSC opening underlines Shell’s confidence in the China market and commitment to Chinese customers.”
For further information, please contact:
Shell Companies in China
Tel: 86-10-65054501 ext. 2685
Notes to Editors
The Zhuhai location is Shell’s largest lubricants manufacturing complex in Asia matched by the size of the China lubricants market for Shell. The TSC is a new addition to Shell’s Zhuhai location, where a lubricant blending plant is producing lubricants products and a grease plant is under construction.
Technology leadership is a key differentiator of the products and services from Shell Lubricants, which has been ranked as the number one international lubricant supplier both globally and in China for the past four years (Source: Kline & Company). With over 70 years of innovation through investing in research and development, Shell’s world-class scientists have created some of the most advanced lubricant products available.
About Shell Lubricants
- The term “Shell Lubricants” collectively refers to Shell Group companies engaged in the lubricants business. They manufacture and blend products for use in a range of applications, from consumer motoring to mining and power generation to commercial transport. Shell’s portfolio of lubricant brands includes Pennzoil®, Quaker State®, Shell Rotella, Shell Helix, Shell Advance, Shell Rimula, Shell Tellus, Monarch, and Jiffy Lube®. Shell has leading lubricants research centres in Germany, Japan (joint venture with Showa Shell), UK, and the USA.
- Our products are manufactured and marketed in more countries than any other lubricants supplier’s, enabling us to supply to our largest customers. We are expanding rapidly into emerging markets while continuing to seek growth in our heartland markets.
- In 2002, Shell acquired Pennzoil-Quaker State Company to become the No. 1 lubricants marketer in the USA. Pennzoil motor oil has been one of the leading motor oil brands in the USA since 1985.
- In 2006, Shell acquired a 75% share in Tongyi, which is China’s leading independent lubricant manufacturer.
- We focus on developing products and services that provide both superior protection and efficiency.